Monday, March 26, 2007

March 26

Tonight I popped into the oven the meatloaf I had pre-prepared last night. I meant to tkae a picture of the meatloaf when it was done, but somehow it quickly hopped into Mike and I's bellies. Therefore you only get a picture of the before-cooking phase. Mike's evaluation of the all-ground-turkey meatloaf: 1.75 thumbs up. He says I'll never get two full thumbs from a turkey meatloaf, but that it would help if I took the small bit of mustard out of the glaze. The boy, he hates tasting even a little bit of something that he dislikes - and his dislikes are severe. He recalls one day when he was little and he bit into a McDonald's hamburger right into a pickle, looked at his Dad and said, "Oh no, a pickle," and promptly vomited all over the table. Anyways, I thought the meatloaf was tasty... and super lo-cal - the whole thing was 1270 calories. With 8 pieces, that is only 159 calories a piece.


Mike's quote, "It's not quite the same as beef, but I'll give it to you, it's good!"
I am a dork, I like to cook for Mike. I hate to cook for myself, but I like to cook for other people. I guess when it's just me it's far easier to just break out the lean cuisine.
As a random sidenote, the meatloaf is in my new find: my red polka-dot casserole dish that I bought for myself at TJMaxx. It was $7.99, but I have never had a casserole dish before and I love it. Bobby Flay says to make meatloaf in a bigger dish so that you get the nice crunchy crust on the sides too (am recently obsessed with all things Food Network!)

Mom Stratton's Meatloaf, adapted by Apes:
1.25-1.5 lb ground turkey
1 c bread crumbs (I used the seasoned Italian ones)
1 egg (or 1/4 c egg whites)
1 c skim milk
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp worchestchire


Topping/glaze - 1/3 cup ketchup, 1 tbsp yellow mustard, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp worchestchire
Cook for 60 minutes at 350 degrees

NEXT UP TOMORROW: Eggplant parm

0 comments: